Thursday, August 19, 2010

What is the name of this Irish or Scottish folk song?

Lyrics are...As I was a walking one morning in May, I spied a young fellow and asked of his name. My name is Joseph this is Mary my wife. .....I'm lost on these lyrics..........Chorus, With the wind in the willows, birds in the sky, bright sun to offer wherever we fly. We have bread and fishes and a jug of red wine and ????? to offer for all of mankind.

What is the name of this Irish or Scottish folk song?
It's called "Wind in the Willows (Bread and Fishes)" and it was written by Alan Bell.





The full lyrics are:





As I went a walking


one morning in spring


I met with some travelers


in an old country lane


One was an old man


the 2nd a maid


The 3rd was a young boy


who smiled as he said





Chorus:





With the wind in the willows


and the birds in the sky


We've a bright sun to warm us


wherever we lie


We have bread and fishes


and a jug of red wine


to share on our journey


with all of mankind





I sat down beside them


the flowers all around


and we ate on a mantel


spread out on the ground


They told me of prophets


and princes and kings


and they spoke of the one God


Who knows everything





CHORUS





I asked them to tell me


their name and their race


So I might remember


their kindness and grace


My name is Joseph


This is Mary my wife


and this is our young son


Our pride and delight





CHORUS





We traveled the whole world


by land and by sea


To tell all the people


how they might be free





CHORUS
Reply:"wind in the willows" by Blackmore's Night ?


perhaps.. hope it helps


No comments:

Post a Comment